Ireland Tamil Sangam – Constitution 2018 (as amended on 13/Oct/2018 2nd draft)
Article I. Name and Location
- The name of this organization shall be the Ireland Tamil Sangam Limited by guarantee, hereafter referred as “Tamil Sangam”.
- The Registered Location is 70 Wyattville Park Cabinteely Dublin 18 and the Registration Number is 631988.
Article II. Objectives
The Tamil Sangam’s objectives are:
- Assimilate and Educate – to educate our children and the youth with great discipline and moral living; to promote them towards setting foot stones for being an iconic role model in the society.
- Welfare and Well-being – to provide the utmost support and assistance to the members of the community at all times; to provide humanitarian aid to ensure the well-being of the Tamils in Ireland and rest of the world.
- Societal Integration and Participation – to promote an environment in which volunteering and providing service to one another and the community be the best practice; to set one-self as an example in the society of these actions and lay a path for the followers of our community.
- Culture and Practices – to seed the next generation youth with the importance of Tamil history, arts, music, culture, beliefs and practices; to be able to advocate the rich quality of the Tamil culture and tradition in the Global corridor.
Also the Tamil Sangam is,
- Organized exclusively for community services, charitable, educational or literary purposes within the meaning of section Ireland Revenue policy or the corresponding provision of any future Ireland Internal Revenue Law. Charitable Purposes shall include the making of distributions to organizations qualifying as exempt organizations under section Ireland Revenue policy or the corresponding provision of any future Ireland Internal Revenue Law.
- Secular and not affiliated to any particular religion, political party or cause.
- For details of each article, refer the respective byelaws.
Article III. Membership
- Any person or family with Tamil origin and upholding the objectives of the Tamil Sangam shall be a member. The membership of the Tamil Sangam shall consist of Family Membership, Single Membership, Student Membership and Fixed Term Membership. All members of the Tamil Sangam must subscribe to the Constitution and By-laws of the Tamil Sangam.
- Family Membership: Any family who has paid annual Family membership fee as determined by the Office Bearers will be admitted as Family member. All children, elders and other legal dependent who are supported by the family are considered as Family Member.
- Single Membership: Any individual who has paid annual Single membership fee as determined by the Office Bearers is admitted as Single member.
- Student Membership: Any individual who is a verified full time or part time student and who has paid annual Student membership fee as determined by the Office Bearers is admitted as Student member.
- Fixed Term Membership: Any family who has paid for fixed term membership fee as determined by the Office Bearers will be admitted as Fixed Term Member. All children, elders and other legal dependent who are supported by the family are considered as fixed term member.
Article IV. Fees and Dues
The schedule of annual dues shall be established, and when established may be modified by two-thirds favourable vote of the Executive Council. The schedule of fees and dues shall be set forth in the By-laws for each type of membership.
Article V. Management of Funds
Funds collected as Fixed Term Membership shall be held in a separate bank account and cannot be utilized for the day to day operations of the Tamil Sangam.
Article VI. Nomination and Election of Officers
- The Admin Committee of the Tamil Sangam shall be comprised of a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, a Deputy Secretary and a Treasurer. Admin Committee Members are directly elected by Members through ITS annual election.
- Member of Council is a regional representative directly elected by regional members from each of Irelands ten region through ITS annual election.
- The Executive Council of the Tamil Sangam shall be comprised of all elected members of Admin Committee and all elected members of Council from each region.
- The Working Committee of the Tamil Sangam shall be comprised of all members nominated by Member of Councils and by the President.
- All Committee or Council members shall be elected by members of good standing as defined in article III. Eligibility is determined by paid and valid membership for at-least two consecutive years of PAID membership, including the current calendar year.
- Election of Admin Committee and Member of Council shall be, by a secret ballot circulated by the Secretary, counted under the supervision of an Election Committee appointed by the President and approved by two third majority of the Executive Council. The past President and Current President will be members of the current Election Committee.
- A vacancy occurring in the Executive Council shall be filled by nominations by the President of the Tamil Sangam and approved by a two third majority of the Executive Council. Members of the Council not in attendance are required to submit a proxy vote to the Secretary of the Admin Committee before the roll-call. Members of the Council may submit nominations to the President.
- Any Committee or Council members having served two full consecutive terms in the office to which one was elected or nominated shall be ineligible for re-election to the same office.
Qualifications for running for the office:
- General requirements: A candidate for the office of the Committee or Council members must be a member in good standing as defined by article III.1 for two consecutive calendar years.
- Specific requirements for the position of the President, the candidates should be in good standing and must have served as a member of the Committee or Council for two terms and one of which must be as an Admin Committee member of the Tamil Sangam.
- Specific requirements for all other Admin positions (VP, Secretary, Deputy Secretary and Treasurer) the candidates should be in good standing and must have served as a member of the Committee or Council in any capacity for one term.
- The above requirements could be waived by the Election Committee with the approval of the two thirds majority of the Executive Council if qualifying candidates are not available. In the case when any office is not filled during the election proceedings, the President will treat this as a vacancy and shall adapt article VI.4 to fill the office.
Article VII. Management
- The corporate powers of the Tamil Sangam shall be vested with the Admin Committee and Executive Council, subject to the constitution of the Tamil Sangam. The Admin Committee shall provide Bylaws which shall prescribe regulations for the exercise of the corporate powers vested in it. The Admin Committee shall make an annual report to the membership, which shall include a financial statement and such other matters as may be deemed appropriate.
- This Admin Committee shall have the power to remove any of the elected members by three fourth majority of the current Executive Council when the said elected member violates the constitution, involves in activities that defames Tamil Sangam, acts to impede the regular activities of the Tamil Sangam or being absent from meetings for four times or more consecutively without explanation. Motion to remove an elected member shall be submitted to the President with a simple majority endorsement (email or signed petition) by the Council. The President shall convene a special meeting of the Executive Council to discuss and vote on the motion and execute the dismissal. The vacated office shall be filled per article VI.4
Article VIII. Meetings
- The Tamil Sangam shall hold at least one meeting with invitations to all members of the Tamil Sangam during the term of the Current Council, termed as the General Body Meeting, at such place and time as shall be determined by the Admin Committee and designated in a notice to the membership as provided for in the Bylaws. The announcements shall be made to allow members to have sufficient time to submit amendments to the Secretary. At the General Body meeting, 25% voting members shall constitute a quorum.
- Meeting of the Admin Committee and Executive Council members shall be held at such times (at least once in a month) and places as may be determined by the Admin Committee to be necessary for the discharge of its duties. More than 50 percent of the Admin Committee and Executive Council members shall constitute a quorum at any meeting.
Article IX. Amendments
- A proposed amendment to the Constitution shall be submitted to the Secretary in written petitions signed by at least 50% of the members.
- Petitions for a proposed amendment shall be presented to the Secretary 30 days prior to the announced General Body Meeting. A proposed amendment in accordance with the intent of the petition shall be drafted by the Secretary and sent by letter to the members of the Tamil Sangam at least 15 days in advance of the General Body meeting. The proposed amendment change will be voted at the General Body Meeting by eligible members of the Tamil Sangam and eligibility is two consecutive years of PAID membership, including the current calendar year.
- Ballots for such amendments shall be counted at the General Body Meeting by the Secretary, President and Vice President and a report thereon shall be submitted to the General Body. For the adoption of any amendment to the Constitution, two thirds of the eligible members are required to be present and vote in favour at the General Body Meeting. An amendment which has been adopted shall become effective immediately.
- At any meeting of the Executive Council, a quorum being present, the Admin Committee, by a two-thirds vote, may amend the Bylaws in conformity with the Constitution, provided that a written notice of such proposed amendment shall have been given at a previous meeting of the Executive Council and provided further that the Secretary mailed a copy of such proposed amendment to each member of the Admin Committee at least 15 days in advance of the meeting at which action thereon is to be taken. Any approved amendment to the Bylaws shall be communicated to all the current members of the Tamil Sangam.
Article X. NO HARM CLAUSE
The Executive Council (Admin Committee and Member of Council) is not personally or collectively liable for any law suits brought by any member, or any organization or any individuals with respect to the activities of the Tamil Sangam. Tamil Sangam, as an organization, will defend the Executive Council on such actions and meet the legal expenses.
Article XI. DISSOLUTION CLAUSE
Upon the dissolution of the organization, the Executive Council (Admin Committee and Member of Council) shall after paying or making provision for the payment of all the liabilities of the organization, dispose of all the assets of the organization exclusively for the purposes of the organization in such manner, or to such organization or organizations organized and operated exclusively for community services, charitable, educational or literary purposes as shall at the time qualify as exempt organization or organizations under section Irish Revenue policy or the corresponding provision of any future Ireland internal revenue law, as the council shall determine. Any such assets not so disposed of shall be disposed of by a court of competent jurisdiction of the county in which the principal office of the organization is then located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organization or organizations as said court shall determine which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes.
(Note: This is only a 2nd draft Constitution document and work is still in-progress.)
Ireland Tamil Sangam | Registration Number 631988 | 70 Wyattville Park Cabinteely Dublin 18 | ITS Constitution – 2018